Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Easter Candy Overload

Easter Candy Overload

Why is it year after year we insist on buying pounds and pounds of candy at easter. Why do we think that celebrating our salvation means buying 5 pound chocolate Easter Bunnies and bags of jelly beans and oh my favorite the Cadbury Mini Eggs. So we buy all this candy every year and then what, it sits in candy dishes or in our case a giant bowl in the cabinet. I get so sick of it sitting there begging me to eat it. What do you do with all that extra candy? A few years ago I decided to start a new tradition. I started making cookies with all the chocolate candy. I chop up the Cadbury Mini Eggs, the peanut butter cups, the Hershey Kisses and even the beloved chocolate bunny and throw it in a batch of chocolate chip cookie batter. We call them bunny cookies. I also do this at Halloween with all the Halloween candy. Those we call monster cookies. This year we had so much candy though that I had I was trying to come up with other uses for it so I made a batch of pancake batter and made Easter candy pancakes with all the chocolate I chopped up the Easter bunny for that one too. this year I have made 3 batches of cookies and 1 batch of pancakes and we still have gobs and gobs of candy. 
This is after the 3 batches of cookies and 1 batch of pancakes ugh

Here are my recipes for the cookies and pancakes. If you need some good ones these are great

Pude's (That's what they call my father-in-law) Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/2 cup flour      1 tsp salt      1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter flavor crisco    3/4 cup sugar    3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla       2 eggs         12 oz chocolate chips 
(I used chopped Easter candy)
Preheat oven to 375. Cream sugars, eggs, Crisco (I've used real butter and margarine in a pinch but Pude says that is a no no and Crisco is a must) and vanilla until fluffy. Mix in dry ingredients and add chocolate chips. Drop on cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes (I've been told 8 1/2 minutes is the magic amount of time for perfect cookies)

Fluffy Pancakes
2 cups flour           2 Tbs sugar           1 Tbs and 1 ts baking powder
1 ts salt       2 eggs      1 1/2 cups milk      1/2 cup vegetable oil
chopped up Easter candy or chocolate chips
Mix all together and cook on lightly greased griddle 



2 comments:

  1. great idea Tisha! only problem is...i have no idea what this leftover candy is that you speak of.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!Maybe we just buy waaaaaay too much :-)

    ReplyDelete