Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie

This is THE most amazing Lemon Meringue Pie EVER!!
First you will need to make (or buy, I make) whatever pie crust you like. You can see in my pictures when I roll mine out I put it between two pieces of plastic wrap (wax paper works too) the crust doesn't stick and it makes it easier to transfer to your pie pan. Once it is trimmed and fluted you will want to bake it for about 10 min at 350.
                  Lemon Meringue Pie
1 1/2 cups water.     2 lemons.     1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt. 2 tablespoons butter (real butter) 4 egg yolks
In a mixing bowl add the water and zest and juice of the lemons. In a medium-sized sauce pan add all the dry ingredients. Pour the lemon juice mixture into the saucepan with the dry and whisk well. Cook on medium heat until it boils, stirring occasionally. While that cooks separate 4 eggs the yolks into a bowl and the whites into your mixer bowl. (I make the meringue while I wait for the other to boil. I will do the recipe for that in the next paragraph) Once the filling boils add your butter and let it melt. After the butter melts you will need to temper your egg yolks by adding about a half a cup of the filling to the egg yolks and mixing it up. Add the eggs to the filling and heat until thickened while stirring. Once the filling it thickened pour it into the pie shell and top with the meringue. Bake in your preheated 350 oven until the top has some golden brown coloring on it. 

             Meringue
4 egg whites 6 tablespoons sugar
place egg white in mixing bowl whip on high until it get frothy add sugar and beat on high until it is stiff and peaks form when you lift the beater out. Sometimes if I want extra I add a couple extra egg whites and a little move sugar. 
          My Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups flour   1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter (the real stuff and make sure you keep it COLD) 
1 teaspoon salt    1 to 3 tablespoons ice water (yes it needs to be ice water!!)
Cube butter into small cubes. Mix flour salt and butter (I do it in my Kitchenaid) and water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms. You can't screw this up I promise!! 

This is one of my favorite recipes, it's one of those recipes when I make it I know it's good. I made it for a few Easter get togethers and got lots of compliments on it. I actually replied with a "I know" to a few of them. The filling on this almost tastes like lemon Starburst candy. I've also switched out the lemons and replaced them with limes and it tasted really good. I did use 3 limes instead of 2 because they were smaller.


Sorry the pictures aren't in order. They were in order when I put them on from my phone. I don't know what happened and I'm not a pro at this yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment